Inspections for vehicles new to B.C.

by Townside Automotive

Inspections for vehicles new to B.C.

All vehicles (Including trailers or motorcycles) being registered in B.C. for the first time or returning to B.C. after being registered outside the province, must pass a mechanical safety inspection at a designated B.C. inspection facility before they can be registered, licensed and insured.

Rebuilt, altered or constructed vehicles (including kit vehicles) require a structural inspection along with the mechanical safety inspection.

You can get a list of inspection facilities from Autoplan brokers or driver licensing offices. Once your vehicle has passed the inspection, take your vehicle with a copy of the inspection report and your current registration to an Autoplan broker to register and insure your vehicle in B.C. The broker must be able to visually check the Vehicle Identification Number [click for definition] on the vehicle.

If you are bringing a vehicle into Canada from another country, check the requirements on the Transport Canada web site and the Registrar of Imported Vehicles site.

Or you can call the Registrar of Imported Vehicles office at 1-888-848-8240.